Tuesday, July 25, 2006

My Credit Card Offers Are Piling Up

I didn't mean to make this blog a monthly affair, but, alas, almost a month has gone by. On the bright side, a LOT of credit card offers have piled up since last I wrote you. Let's not waste time but instead get right to the goodies:

The Platinum Card from American Express is being offered to me for my being such a good customer since the early 2000s. Now, why would I want this? 25,000 Membership Rewards points the first time I use my card! That's pretty cool. That of course puts me quickly into a search for the terms & conditions to see what this puppy costs: ah, $395. Now I see. What do I get for that $395 other than the bonus? I never have understood the big benefits to paying so much for a credit card.

It looks like a lot of travel perks, upgrades and such. I don't travel a lot. Here's where I am almost sucked in, because I get weak when I think I might get "exclusivity":

"By Invitation Only is a program that gives Platinum Card members exclusive access to once-in-a-lifetime experiences -- from sports, fashion and fine dining to the visual and performing arts. These unique experiences are customized for Platinum Card members and are simply not available to the general public at any price."

I bolded the last part to show you where I get suckered. If it's not available to the general public but is available to me, I want it. But Amex blows it here, because they don't give me any examples to whet my appetite. Something like: "Just last November, Platinum Card members joined Tiger Woods at the ESPN Zone Sports Bar to watch the Super Bowl." Or "Imagine flying kites on a windy field in Iowa with Demi Moore and that young guy she married -- our Platinum Card members did just that!"

Add those small touches and I'm a lot closer to forking over $395 for the privileges.

Well, I'm getting tired. This blogging thing never fails to exhaust me. I'll have to do my other credit card offers tomorrow. Or maybe a month from now. We'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home